Jazz à Juan is one of the loveliest music festivals here on the Côte d’Azur because the location itself is fantastic with a setting overlooking the sea, and it has an excellent yearly programme that includes both classic and contemporary musicians and bands. It really is a special venue for watching local and international music as the sun sets!
The 59th edition of Jazz à Juan will be hosted from Friday 12 July to Sunday 21 July 2019 at the seaside venue at Pinède Gould in Juan les Pins.
The 2019 programme features some diverse acts including George Benson, Ekram, Electro Deluxe, Delgrès, Magma, Snarky Puppy, Jamiroquai, Pink Martini, Thomas Dutronc and Les Esprits Manouches.
Jazz à Juan 2019 Programme
The festival kicks off with ‘Jazz en Fête’ on Friday 12 July with free concerts in the streets of Antibes from 7pm-8pm and in Juan les Pins from 9.30pm-10.30pm. Bands will roam various locations including Place Nationale, rue James Close, Marché Provençal/Cours Massena, Promenade du Soleil and the square in front of the Palais in Juan les Pins.
Saturday 13 July sees The Steve Gadd Band and George Benson take to the stage from 8.30pm onwards.
Sunday 14 July, also Fête Nationale/Bastille Day, starts at 8.30pm with performances from Omri Mor, Ekram and the funky tunes from Electro Deluxe.
Monday 15 July will feature the créole / blues sound from Delgrès followed by the well-known sounds from Ben Harper and The Innocent Criminals – a mix of rock, blues and folk with incredible guitaring from Ben Harper.
Formed in 1969, MAGMA is a band who will bring their rock energy to the Pinède Gould on Tuesday 16 July in tribute to the album ‘ZESS’ for their 50th anniversary. Their performance at Jazz à Juan is part of their international tour which will also see them perform in Finland, Japan, Sweden and England. The same evening, concert goers can enjoy the dynamic vibe from King Crimson who infuse jazz with progressive rock and elements of grunge and gamelan.
Louis Cole and Snarky Puppy are 2 funky acts who will take to the stage on Wednesday 17 July from 8.30pm. LA-based Cole is best known for his electro/funk tunes, such as ‘Bank Account’ which has had over 2 million hits and the crazy credit music for the Lego Ninjago Movie. Snarky Puppy are a triple Grammy Award-winning band – expect to see a colossal amount of around 19 musicians! – who will amplify the atmosphere and cool factor at Jazz à Juan with a mix of trumpets, drums, saxophones, violins and percussion.
Thursday 18 July Kittin will get the beat going from 8.30pm, followed by a performance from Jamiroquai, one of the headliners and better known acts for the Juan les Pin Jazz Festival. With over 35 million albums sold, expect a high-energy funky fusion of jazz and electronic music.
The remaining three nights of the festival will host a variety of bands and musicians including Eli Degribi Quarter, Diana Krall and Pink Martini featuring Storm Large.
FOR THE FULL PROGRAMME, GO HERE: Juan Les Pins Jazz Festival 2019 Programme
Jazz à la Petite Pinede | Jazz at the Kiosque | Royal Jazz Lounge
During the Festival, free mini concerts will be held:
- From 7.30pm-8.30pm at Petite Pinède in Juan les Pins (Petite Pinède is located beside the main park in Juan les Pins, opposite Sweet Caffé and the Garden Beach Hotel).
- From 7pm at Place Nationale kiosque (band rotunda) in Antibes (from 14-19 July only).
- From Monday to Saturday between 7pm-11pm at Hotel Royal on boulevard Maréchal Leclerc in Antibes
The schedule and band list for these sessions are:
Jazz à Juan Facilities
The main venue for Jazz à Jazz is Pinède Gould, the famous pine tree grove in Juan les Pins overlooking the bay of Juan les Pins.
For concert goers, you’ll find an intimate open-air concert site that is wheelchair accessible and located on flat ground, excluding the Tribunes/Gallery Seats with stair access.
I have found that in previous years (including last year’s Jazz à Juan) there are always been plenty of ushers, first aid staff and security staff.
Every year, I pay attention to staff working there so I have first-hand knowledge that the site support for the Festival is overall excellent – this includes assistance for concert goers with special needs and/or first aid help. Festival facilities include:
- Plenty of bilingual (French & English language) helpful ushers, first aid staff and security staff
- Accessible toilets are situated at the rear of the Tribunes and Gallery seating closest to Boulevard Baudoin (beside the Pinède playground)
- A special car parking offer at the underground parking at nearby Palais des Congrès. This is valid from 12 to 21 July from 6pm to 2am; simply show your concert ticket at the parking office on level -2 and receive a special parking rate €10,50. There is also other pay parking situated at Port Gallice, Hotel Ambassadeurs and Garden Beach Hotel, all open 24 hours.
- Designated concert viewing area for wheelchair users located in front of Category 2 seats
- Press zone with Wifi, seating and tables. Note: The Press Zone is not located in close proximity to the stage but you have a partial view of the stage from there. The Festival press team are always readily available daily during the Festival.
- A souvenir boutique selling merchandise such as postcards, caps, t-shirts, mugs, beach bags and Panama hats
- Food and drink outlets each side of the stage selling water, soft drinks, snacks, draught beer and Champagne.
- Jazz on the Beach is a VIP experience at neighbouring Plage Ambassadeur. Must have a minumum of 10 per table and includes a personalized welcome from 7pm, dinner at the beach (from 7pm to 10.30pm) and private box seats enabling you to see the concert of your choice as a privileged guest.
Jazz à Juan 2019 Tickets
As per the map above, if you want to sit directly in front of the stage and enjoy the main acts less than 20 metres away, the optimal tickets to buy are Carré d’Or. The next best seat category are Category 1.
The Juan les Pins Jazz Festival offer a variety of tickets with different price brackets including standing tickets (zone debout), Category 4, Category 3, Category 2, Category 1 and Carré d’Or.
Ticket Notes: The ‘Standing Only’ (Zone Debout) tickets are not sold until Category 4 tickets are sold out. The Festival has some hugely popular acts this year – Electro Deluxe, Ben Harper & the Innocent Criminals, Diana Krall, Jamiroquai to name a few – so get your tickets far in advance to avoid disappointment!
To buy your tickets for the 2019 Festival, go to the official website www.jazzajuan.com or visit the Juan les Pins Tourist Office located in the Palais des Congrès, 60 chemin des Sables, 06160 Juan les Pins. There is also a ticket office at the venue which sells tickets one hour prior to the concerts with limited availability each night.