One of the world’s most successful charity events and the most coveted party in town during Cannes Film Festival is the amfAR Cinema Against AIDS gala night which will be held Thursday 19 May on the Cap d’Antibes.
The 23rd annual Cinema Against AIDS event to benefit amfAR, The Foundation for AIDS Research, returns to the legendary Hôtel du Cap-Eden-Roc where the event will help keep the fight against AIDS in the global media spotlight and add to the impressive $170 million raised for amfAR’s life-saving research programs.
Produced by AAB Productions/Andy Boose, the amfAR night features a number of live music performances, a fashion show and every celebrity in town on the guest list.
Watch last year’s amfAR video below:
amfAR Cinema Against AIDS 2016 Cannes
This year is a ’70s disco theme with performances from Sister Sledge, The Village People and Katy Perry.
Carine Roitfeld will again curate a unique fashion show starring forty of the world’s top models in a spectacular disco-themed showcase, accessorized with beautiful jewellery by Harry Winston. The runway presentation will showcase glamorous looks from the most celebrated fashion designers including Burberry, Chanel, Dior Couture, Fendi, Marc Jacobs, Louis Vuitton, Tom Ford, Georgio Armani, Miu Miu, Prada and Versace.
As well, many of the auction lots have disco-themed items including Polaroids of 1970’s stars by Andy Warhold and mirror balls.
amfAR Event Chairs & Guest List
‘Neerja’ actress’ 30-year old Sonam Kapoor is set to attend the amfAR gala for the first time. “It’s an honor to be a part of the esteemed amfAR Gala. I cannot stress enough the importance of AIDS research in our time. This foundation is doing such incredible work dedicated towards raising funds for life-saving research programs that help the fight against AIDS’.
Kenneth Cole (amfAR Chairman of the Board)
Milutin Gatsby (amfAR Global Fundraising Chairman)
Dr. Cyrus S. Poonawalla
Timur and Lola Tillyaeva
Jonathan and Kira Faiman
Peter and Leona König
Ilya and Alina Polner
Andrew G. Vajna
Gary Michael Walters
Every year, spectacular items are auctioned with celebrities, film producers, supermodels and high society guests bidding on the lots. The 2016 auction will be conducted by Simon de Pury. Some of the auction items this year will include:
- The Moët & Chandon MCIII Wine Cellar, handmade and the only one of its kind in the world, features 23 magnum bottles of MCIII, to signify the 23rd edition of the amfAR Cinema Against AIDS gala. One bottle is featured in the centre and a special lighting effect behind the glass illuminates the other 22 magnum bottles, where the bottles’ delicately engraved metal bases appear to levitate around the central bottle.
- Damien Hirst’s 6.5m high ‘Temple’ artwork
- Andy Warhol Polaroids from the 1970s and 1980s (The Polaroids on offer are of five 1970s icons and muses for The Disco Collection: Jerry Hall, Bianca Jagger, Liza Minnelli, Diana Ross, and Diane von Furstenberg)
- A Harry Winston Secret Cluster Perfume Bottle with Aquamarines, Diamonds, Sapphires, and a Hand-carved Rock Crystal vial
- A one-off customized Ferrari 458 Camouflage by Lapo Elkann
- A Soneva Resorts Luxury Escape for 8 people where you and your guests spend 2 weeks in each of 2 remarkable private residences at Soneva Kiri Resort in Thailand (including dining in a bamboo Treepod suspended above the tree canopy with food delivered by a waiter on a zipline!) and then 2 weeks at Soneva Fushi Maldives.
- Two tickets to the 2016 Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show, which will take place in Europe in late autumn. The tickets entitle the winning bidder to a prime seat location at the fashion show and entrance into the exclusive after-party.
- A week onboard the 70m Lürssen yacht Martha Ann
- Zaha Hadid limited edition ZOLU Dining Pavillion
Please share this post on social media – thank you!