Every year in France there is a fantastic initiative called the European Heritage Days (Les Journées Européennes du Patrimoine) where residents and tourists have the opportunity to access many historical, cultural and architectural sites for no or heavily reduced entrance fees.
This year the days are held on the weekend of Saturday 19 September and Sunday 20 September 2015 and over 17,000 monuments throughout France will host events and special openings.
Here are some of the participants in 2015 across the French Riviera:
- Archaeology Museum, Fort Carré, Jardin Thuret, Musée de la Carte Postale, Picasso Museum
- Château Grimaldi, Musée Renoir
- Forrtified monastery of Abbaye de Lérins (Ile Saint-Honorat), Chapelle Bellini, La Malmaison art centre, Moulin Forville, Musée de la Castre (Le Suquet), Musée de la Mer (Ile St-Marguerite)
- Église Saint Marguerite
- MAMAC art gallery, Musée National Chagall
- Musée Magnelli
In conjunction with the Heritage Days, various transport companies in the French Riviera region are offering free or reduced tickets for travel exclusively on Saturday 19 September including:
– Free travel all day in Monaco on the routes with CAM www.cam.mc
– Free travel all day in Grasse on the routes with Sillages www.sillages.eu
– €1,50 unlimited bus travel all day in Cannes with Palm Bus www.palmbus.fr
– Free travel all day in Saint Raphael on the routes with Agglobus www.agglobus-cavem.com
– €5 unlimited travel train tickets on the TER network for travel on Saturday 19 September only on the French Riviera coast. For example, a return ticket Juan les Pins to Monaco is approximately €15, or a ZOU! daily pass is usually €15 until 30 September so make use of this great deal!
LIST OF PARTICIPATING LOCATIONS / SITES
The official programme is available on http://journeesdupatrimoine.culturecommunication.gouv.fr/ (Click on ‘Télécharger les Programmes’ then choose ‘Provence-Alpes-Côte d’Azur’)